I’d like to share with you my thoughts about the Republican Primary Canidates. But let me tell you where I am coming from first. I am a Republican Neanderthal, an Eisenhower Republican. I am not a Reagan Republican. For me Republican ideals, represent:
1. Aversion to war
2. Support for small business as a source of welling paying jobs and economic growth but a warriness of the dangers of the Military/Industrial Complex
3. A belief that science and technology can improve our way of life
4. A beleif in personal freedom that includes protection from the religion of the majority
5. A belief that a well educated electorate is key to a successful Democracy
So how do the candidates fare when viewed through this filter:
1. John McCain = a good man and a good soldier but a supporter of Bush’s War, who has also made the mistake of courting the Religious Right. I can not support a canidate who continues to support the war.
2. Rudy Giuliani – a new York thug who was right for New York City but not right for the country. Totally eliminated by his support for the war and recent pandering to the Religious Right who don’t beleive in Evolution.
3. Mitt Romney – Possibly the new Arron Burr, a candidate who willdo or say anything to win the election, also continues to support the war. Not a viable presidential canidate.
4. Mike Huckabee- On the surface a very attractive candidate, I believe he is a bright and capable man with amazing charm. However, I am very bothered by his 15th century beleif set. I don’t understand how a thinking adult can reject Evolution. His statement on “Meet the Press”, if you believe in Evolution tan you think Global Warming is a good thing just sounds too whacked for anyone in the big leagues. Not a viable canidate for President.
5. Ron Paul – I don’t really think he is a viable candidate but where else do you put your vote in the Primary if you are against the war and believe in Evolution.
This is truly a sad time for Republicans – the Evil Compromise forged by Regan between the Republican Party and the pre- Renaissance Religious Right bore an awful child,the George Bush Presidency. We have now become the party led by war criminals for whom every disaster is a chance to enrich their friends. The party of incompetency, greed and rejection of science. The Religious Right did not get what they wanted and the country has been raped and plundered by the greedy few who actually control the party.
Where do we go from here?